The company now known as Ernest Platt (Bury) Ltd was established in the mid 1800s as a rubber merchant and mill furnisher. William A Platt started his humble business from his home in Walmersley Road, with the company name being W A Platt & Son. Williams skill in his field earned him the nickname of India Rubber Bill.
Soon the company began to expand, moving into the field of boiler/pipe and heat insulation. He devised and manufactured his own insulation compounds and as all factories and mills at that time were steam driven this was an excellent period for the company. By the late 1890’s W A Platt & Son had gained a lucrative Admiralty Contract.
While the company thrived the founders’ son who was also called William was helping the government set up the National Insurance Bill and the National Health Insurance Act. For his work he was awarded the MBE in 1912 and the OBE in 1932. William died in 1933 and the company was taken over by Ernest Alexander Platt and the company continued on a steady path through the 30s and 40s.
1951 saw the death of Ernest Platt and the arrival of Wilfred Platt. He formed a limited company Ernest Platt (Bury) Ltd and began to diversify the company. He geared the company into the field of gasket manufacturing and sealing materials. This proved enormously successful and despite the country being gripped by a recession the company opened a new branch in Blackburn in 1983.
Steady trading has continued ever since and in 1990 the company moved to its’ present site off Whalley Road in Ramsbottom, bringing the whole operation under one roof. Now in its fifth generation of the family, with Stephen Platt the Managing Director. The company now has a very large local customer base and is also a contracted supplier to many major national companies. However, the company is continually looking for new opportunities so if you think Ernest Platt (Bury) Ltd can help you please get in touch.